Therapy for Engaged Couples
Prepare for Your Next Big Adventure Together
You have the rings and have set the date. Before you begin planning for the big day, allow the Counseling Works therapists to assist you in preparing for a marriage that lasts a lifetime. We seek to help you enrich your relationship by identifying your communication styles and skills and determining how you relate to one another. We can partner with you to establish a solid foundation that will lead to meaningful and satisfying marriage partnership.
Why Should Engaged Couples Consider Counseling?
Just about any couple can benefit from premarital counseling. Some people associate premarital counseling with religion since many faith practices require couples to complete counseling prior to their marriage. We do have Christian counselors in our office who would be happy to provide faith-based premarital counseling, but our therapists can also offer secular therapy for engaged couples. Some of the many reasons that engaged couples visit Counseling Works for therapy sessions include:
- Get to know each other better – this is the main reason why anyone would consider couples therapy. In order to develop a healthy, fulfilling relationship, you need to make time to get to know your partner and let them get to know you. During therapy sessions, you can take a deep dive to learn more about each other’s history and start building your future together.
- Work through the potential pitfalls – finances, in-laws, how many kids you want to have, where you’re going to live, there are many potential pitfalls where couples may find themselves disagreeing. It’s always best to work through these issues before you get married, so you can avoid unnecessary conflict. During premarital counseling, we can work through some of the common relationship issues to make sure you and your partner are on the same page.
- Develop healthy relationship skills – creating a fulfilling relationship can be difficult, but improving communication (speaking and listening), setting boundaries, managing conflict, and learning other healthy relationship skills can help you have a more satisfying relationship from the very start.
How Does Premarital Counseling Help?
Together with your Counseling Works therapist, you will work to cultivate a lasting connection with your future spouse that allows you to experience a deeper emotional, spiritual, and physically intimate connection. The process involves talking through potential areas for conflict, exploring goals, and planning for your future together. During premarital counseling sessions, your Counseling Works Therapist will:
- Assist you in communicating your needs clearly and supportively
- Develop skills to resolve conflict and stay connected
- Explore ways of putting your differences to work, benefitting your partnership
- Understand the need to adjust to your partner’s personality and habits
- Plan your budget and manage finances
- Manage extended family and friend interactions
Want to Start Your Marriage off on the Right Foot?
Click here to learn more about our counselors who specialize in therapy for engaged couples.